The exuberance of the 1970s set a new style for carefree living that changed the way we look at the world and the way we want to live.
From exotic printed fabrics, to piles of patterned pillows, to well-worn leathers, hand-hewn metals, and soft and nubby textiles, Bohemian design was the very definition of self-expression.
Now, this free-spirit style comes home, as a resurgence of BoHo chic décor gives us easy ways to escape from our busy lives and into an oasis of beauty and versatility.
Here are eight ways to express your inner bohemian in home design.
1. Gorgeous geometrics. Make the beautiful browns and rusts of the 70s come alive in a solid-color sofa with pillows of different shapes and sizes in bold geometric patterns. Use colors from wall art, wood tables, leather and metal to create a warm and inviting palette throughout the room.
2. Fantastic fantasy fabrics. Set your imagination free with fabrics that express your time-traveling wanderlust. Think ethnic colors that evoke far-off lands for a Bohemian bedroom getaway. Leather and suede as soft as a well-worn motorcycle jacket. Vintage prints that transport you to an earlier time.
3. Mix and match patterns. Sing to your senses in an upbeat tone using multiple patterns for furniture and accessories. Mix and match pillow prints for creatively comfy sofa, chair and floor seating. Or try different colors and textures on a single piece – such as a solid chair with a patterned cushion.
4. Double the impact: Looking for a small way to make a big statement? Use a bold pattern, such as a large plaid or hound’s-tooth design, on a pair of chairs to achieve a retro feel without breaking the bank.
5. Multifunctional lounging: Turn lounging into an art form with multipurpose pieces that make a stylish statement: a brightly colored ottoman with a flip-top lid that turns into a serving tray for drinks and appetizers, or a leather-covered bench with built-in storage beneath.
6. Viva la versatility: Sink into sophisticated comfort in a room that says, “Come sit and relax.” Create a harmonizing atmosphere with a sofa in a soft neutral color, contrasted with interesting textures like a shag rug and woven fabric pillows. La Z Boy’s Uptown sofa has a sleek design that lends itself to multiple looks just by changing the colors of the accent pieces.
7. It’s all in the details. For a truly personalized look, choose furniture with customized details that add even more richness and texture to your space, such as nailhead trim, metal-capped legs, topstitching, and optional wood finishes.