Vicki renovates her kitchen to create a more functional space with a traditional style.
- Ryan Boger with Schneider Stone shows us the Carrera Marble Countertops which ages beautifully and compliments the existing cabinets. Marble does scratch and stain easier than other countertops such as granite, so it needs to be sealed once a year. The first place you will notice it will be need resealing is around the sink where the surface gets the most moisture and it will begin to appear darker.
- Dale Bullock with Klutz Cabinets assists rebuilding the new peninsula and rebuilding the new wall cabinet.
- To repair the existing cabinets which had chipping paint, Bob Nulf a faux finisher, first chips off the loose paint. Then the cabinet is sanded down and repainted with a latex based low VOC primer, then a sealer, and then finished off with a glaze (exterior rated).
- Sealants by Surface Shields provide great protection for these flooring.
- New style silver knobs by Amerock are used for cabinet doors and handles are used for the cabinet drawers. Knob placement should be consistent, some suggestions are placing them 3”- 3 ¼” above bottom of the cabinet door, in the middle, or just keep then consistent with the lines of a panel detail of the door face.
- All materials such as old countertops and hardware will be donated to Habitat for Humanity.
- Luke Miller our general contractor for plumbing and electric relocates electrical outlets in the kitchen to make them easily accessible with the new design.
- Beautiful Ashbury lantern pendant lighting with platinum trim by Progress Lighting is added above the peninsula to add better lighting for this work area.
A new Stainless steel energy star rated Refrigerator from Queen City Appliances can save a lot of energy and money. If your refrigerator was bought before 2001 it can cost as much as $140 a year to operate. Replacing it with an average sized energy star refrigerator bought after 2001 is only about $43 a year. Most efficient refrigerators have the freezer on top the least efficient are the side-by-side.